Monday, May 27, 2013

21st Century Feminist: The summer of this independent woman

Independent Woman

Happy Memorial Day to all!

From PK

Aside from the million of other things I'm trying to get through this summer,  I am also on a quest to become a more assertive woman. WO-MAN. This is important to me as I'm about to embark on the next chapter of my life and I'd like to not feel defeated because of lack of confidence especially since holding my own is important in a field like medicine. Here is Swimming's action plan and I will provide updates on the 21st Century feminist:

Phase 1: Create Independent Woman Playlist--Done
Good Ole' Queen Bey
Coming to think of it Destiny's child was a great pro-woman group
Xtina (although I sometimes question her outfit choices) Good tune nonetheless
If you like me then you better put a ring on me
I am Titanium!
and Triumphant
and the Queen
A little Nietzsche

Phase 2: Summer reading (this is just a start, must add more to this list):
Toward a new psychology of women
Lean In-Sheryl Sandberg
Bossypants-Tina Fey
The Feminine Mystique
Decisive: How to make better choices in life and work (ok not really feminist lit but I think I could benefit from this one anyway)

Phase 3: Daily dose of feminism
Justice Sonia Sotomayor's Experience with Casual Sexism (For anyone who doesn't realize how fine the line is of being sexist)
On the Imposter Syndrome...
Julia Gillard on misogyny
For those who don't know that sexism exists

Phase 4: Employ feminism/assertion into real life.
Swimming, do you want a cookie?
Swimming: NO! I do not want a cookie. I eat cookies when I want and where I want.

Feminism/assertive independent woman hits 'Play' now!

No comments:

Post a Comment