Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Another (quick) lesson in Stoicism: The pathology of the human psyche

Florence + the Machine: "Dog Days" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsr8oXxzFEI
 
This Stoic lesson stems from an issue that I have been struggling with during the past few weeks and I believe I am close to a resolution. Sometimes individuals display a multitude of pathological behaviours that others (including myself) cannot reason. The Stoic philosophy as a response to this is the belief that people are fated to behave a certain way. This behaviour is not something that we can control (obviously) nor is it something they can control either; it is set by the three fate that have predetermined the past, present, and future. Furthermore, upon an encounter with such a behaviour it is always easy to put the behaviour, your reaction, and your impact in cosmic context. Basically, we will all be dead eventually and none of this will matter. See! Now I feel a little bit better already that my problem has no real impact on the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment